Oct 25, 2021, 04:28 AM

News:

Welcome to the OP.  We're now on Instagram!

+-Recent Topics

Reborn an Alien Harem Slave. by Ren
Sep 16, 2021, 09:08 PM

my voice for voiceovering by Scribe_siren
Sep 02, 2021, 03:54 PM

Mojeys by Wanderer
Jul 10, 2021, 03:27 PM

Insta by Wanderer
Jul 10, 2021, 03:25 PM

Still alive! by Ren
Jul 09, 2021, 08:57 PM

Scifi/Fantasy - Apocolypto by Ren
Jun 21, 2021, 05:21 PM

OLD WEST DEVIL (script intro) by Scribe_siren
May 27, 2021, 01:22 PM

Fantasy - Modern Diaries. Draknor! by Poison
May 23, 2021, 08:26 AM

Martha school: chapter 11 by Scribe_siren
May 07, 2021, 04:21 PM

New on NHB! by Scribe_siren
Apr 27, 2021, 12:02 PM

Scifi/Fantasy - Apocolypto

Started by Ren, Nov 14, 2019, 08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ren

Good idea there Poi!   I can certainly use that. 

Thanks for reading!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Poison

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
New writer.  Be gentle!

Ren

I will be adding something to this/my others at some point, just distracted by a few things at the moment.  Oddly enough, writing related, but nothing I've put up on here. 

So, anyway. Watch this space and all that.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ren

Just FYI, in case my many thousands of readers  :(  were wondering, I've not forgotten about this, or my other ongoing tales on OP.  I've been focussing my writing on another project, unrelated, mostly, to the OP.

More details as/if things move along, and I will write some more on this soon.  I actually started writing another chapter on The Other One, but not got very far.  :o

Anyhoo, watch this space, or one close by anyway,
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ren

Max

A lifetime at war had made Max cautious, even when there was apparently no need for it, and now this caution paid off.

He'd woken up early, and slipped outside to check the area and relieve himself, both of which he'd done.  However,  his return, which had been a stealthy one, had been interrupted.  He'd ducked down behind some rubble as a group of enemy soldiers had marched up.  They had been led by a large man in a captain's uniform, and Max had had to rub his eyes.  There had been something... wrong about the leader.  He looked somehow, well, blurred was about the only way to describe it.

Sighing to himself, he'd watched as the soldiers, four men and two women, the captain included, had walked confidently up to the the entrance to their hiding place.  It seemed as if they knew where they were, which made Max frown.  Maybe they thought their own men were still there, but then these appeared to be from a different unit altogether, from their uniforms and insignia. 

One woman was left on guard outside, whilst the rest went on it, leaving Max with a dilemma.  Should he wait, or try and rescue his new friend?  The so called magician was the only one who knew what his ring did, or was, and having tried to remove it, unsuccessfully, Max didn't want to lose that source of information. 

On the other hand he wanted to remain living too.

"Bugger it," he decided, after a minute of consideration.  Pulling his knife from its sheath, he circled around the building as quietly as he could, until he came around the other side, which was closer to the sentry.

The woman on duty was young, as in fact most soldiers were.  At nearly thirty, Max was a rare old man in his unit.  Few troops survived to live to such a ripe old age.  In any case, young meant impatience, which he was certain would work in his favour here. 

Sure enough, the guard started fidgeting within a few minutes.  Then she began pacing up and down, which gave him the opportunity that he'd been waiting for.

As she paced away from him he moved swiftly.  Coming up behind her, he clamped one hand over her mouth and used the other to cut her throat with the knife.

It wasn't the instant death some thought It was, but he was ready, having done this before.  She struggled for some seconds, but he held her tight, and slowly she subsided. 

Laying her down quietly, he shook his head.  She was a young, attractive, woman.  "What a waste," he muttered to himself as he peered in the doorway.  There were no other guards, so he slipped quietly inside and made his way over to the bottom of the stairs.

Peering through the gap, he could hear talking.  One voice was Salzar.

"They can't see who you really are can they?"  he was saying.

"Keep them talking," Max whispered, treading carefully on the first stair, and unslinging his captured machine gun. 

"Where is it?" he heard another voice answer, as he crept slowly forward.  "We know it is nearby.  You must have it."

Max made it another step before his luck ran out.

"Stop!"  cried a voice from the top of the stairs. 

Thanking the Universe for sending him an idiot, Max didn't waste time replying, but simply opened fire.  A brief burst of sound, and the man fell back.

Max did the same, in a more controlled fashion, making it to the corner of the stairs before answering fire smashed into the floor where he'd been standing.  He put the gun around the corner and fired back blindly, emptying the magazine.

There was more shouting from upstairs, and more shots back, but then there was another sound, one that he'd heard only once before. 

There were screams and brief blasts of explosion. 

The firing stopped, but the shouting didn't, nor did the explosions.

Replacing the empty magazine with a full one, Max peered carefully around the corner and upwards.  Blue lightning flashed across his vision, followed by dull retorts.  It seemed his friend was using his magic again.

Throwing caution to the wind, he dashed upstairs, to see Salzar extend a long finger at... something.   It was dressed in a captain's uniform, but it certainly wasn't of this world.  A bald, skull-like, white head, with jaws filled with monstrous teeth snapped forward at the mage, who threw up his other hand in reply.  Another flash, and the captain thing was pushed back. 

It snarled again, and moved forward to attack in return, swinging with a hand that was more claw-like than anything. 

Max didn't wait any longer.  He opened up with his machine gun again, blasting the thing from behind. 

Whatever it was, it wasn't invulnerable to good old fashioned lead.  It shrieked as the projectiles impacted it, stitching a line of gore up its back. 

That, and another blast of blue lighting from Salzar was enough.  With a final shriek of rage, the creature succumbed, falling onto the charred corpse of one of his men.

"Thank you," Salzar said.  He lowered his hands and bent over, gasping for breath.  "I thought I was done for for a minute there."

"What the hell is that thing?" Max replied, stepping forward and grimacing at the creature.  It was bubbling, melting, where it lay.  "It's dissolving!" he added.

"So it seems."  The mage nodded.

"So what is it then?"  Repeated Max.

"I'm not sure, but it's not from around here, that's for sure."  The wizard knelt down and, to Max's disgust, stuck a finger into the thing's face, pulling out a digit covered in slimy goo. 

"By the Universe!" Max exclaimed, as the other man sniffed at the residue.

"It had wards, magical wards," Salzar said, wiping the gunk off on the thing's uniform.  "It had an illusion that made it look like one of your species," he added.  "Which, all by itself, says it has other-verse origins."

"When I saw them come in it looked, kind of, blurred to me," Max nodded, checking the other enemy fallen to make sure they were dead.  Old instincts die hard.

"That will be the ring you wear," Salzar said.  "It has certain benefits.  They'll probably get stronger the longer you're together."  He looked up.  "Are you ready?  This thing was looking for the segment.  We should move on quickly."

"Move on, as in..."

"Yes, move to the next universe."

"Wow."  Max looked around.  "Let me salvage a few things first," he said.  "A few more magazines wouldn't go amiss.  And rations."

"Good idea," Salzar replied. 

They set about scavenging.

>>>>

Okay, short and sweet, but at least it's something!  So, better SP this time, I hope.

What is the next universe like?  Well, wherever they land. 

All suggestions, big and small welcome!

<<<<
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Poison,
No reactions
No reactions

Poison

Short is better than nothing, which is about the amount I've done lately.

Well, how about the next universe being totally opposite to this one.  A very peaceful society, horrified by weapons.  However, also really, really, really bureaucratic!  Cross to the other side of the city sir?  Forms 41b and 12delta, in triplicate please.  And is that an unlicensed tattoo I see?

;D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
Members reacted friendly:
Ren,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Ren,
No reactions
No reactions
New writer.  Be gentle!

Ren

Ooh, nice one.  Thanks Poi!  I could certainly work with that.  8)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ren

Dave.

Dave's survival instinct kicked in as two of the golden garbed man's entourage leaped forward, pulled long swords smoothly out of scabbards as they did so.  In turn he drew the pistol he'd inherited out and shot the closest one in the chest.

The shot rang around the hall, and the unfortunate warrior was blown backwards by the force of the impact, to come to rest spread eagled on the immaculately tiled floor.

However, these people were no cowards.  Even though the second fighter saw his companion go down under what could have been some kind of magic for all he knew, he carried on with his attack. 

Dave brought the pistol around and fired again, but the warrior was a quick learner, jinking to one side, and the shot missed.  His sword was already sweeping down as Dave frantically aimed again, but even as he did, he knew it was too late.

The sword clanged against metal a hair's breath from his exposed neck. 

"No." 

The young princess was now standing next to him.  Her sword had intercepted the guard's attack, and she now batted it off to one side. 

Dave hesitated, and the attacking warrior did the same, not, it seemed, because of his gun, but because of the princess.  Having seen her fight, Dave could understand the man's trepidation.

"What is the meaning of this impertinence?"  The leader, standing with arms folded, apparently unconcerned by his gun's ability, demanded.

"Father," the princess said, sheathing her sword and stepping forward.  "I need to speak with you."

The man, the king it seemed, looked at her and then at Dave, and then back at her.  "Very well.  Clear the room."

Instantly the surrounding men and women scattered, and in moments Dave found himself alone in a giant hall with royalty.  He lowered his gun.

"Stay," hissed the princess, and strode towards her father, who waited for her with an odd expression on his face.   Dave couldn't decide if it was pride or anger. 

The young girl bowed her head briefly, perfunctorily,  as she stood in front of the man, and then proceeded to speak to him in urgent tones that were too low for Dave to hear.

The man listened to her for a minute, frowning and glancing at Dave from time to time.  Eventually the princess stopped speaking and took a step back.  She dropped her head, suddenly humble.

"It seems that today is a momentous day," the man said.  "Your coming has been foretold."

"Right," Dave said, unsure of what else to say.

"You are the messenger then?" 

Sighing, Dave took a half a step forward, but then stopped as the princess glared at him.  He stopped again and cleared his throat.

"Your Kingness," he started.

"He is the Emperor!" hissed princess Xy.

Oh dear, thought Dave, not a good start.  He tried again.  "Emperor.  Please accept my apologies for any offence given, I intended none.  I am a traveller from... far far away and am unfamiliar with your customs."

"So much I can see from your battle wand, and your clothes," the Emperor said.  "Proceed."

"You are correct, I am on a mission."  Dave hadn't realised he was until this very second, but it kind of made sense.  He went on.  "However, I am new to this er, quest.  I have taken up the mantle from the one who fell before me.  I have been... guided here by..."  He paused, unsure of whether or not to carry on, but then shrugged.  In for a penny.

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out his little robot friend and held it up for the others to see.  "This, er, little man, has guided me here.  Frankly, I am unsure as to what to do next, but I... feel that you know something of this."  He realised he really did feel this.  No doubt this was part of the data downloaded into his brain when he'd first picked up the robot.

"You see father!" the princess said. "He has a piece."

"It seems you are correct daughter," said the emperor.  Suddenly his shoulders slumped slightly, and for the first time, Dave saw the man underneath the ruler.  The father even.

"You know what this means," princess Xy said.  She seemed excited.

Shaking his head, her father gripped her shoulder.  "I do, I fear far more than you.  I..."  he paused, and Dave saw that he was actually holding back tears.  "I feared this would happen.  Ever since your birth I have had premonitions that you would be the one." He shook his head.  "Yet the Great Eye does not care what a humble man cares.  Destiny is written on the great fabric of Life, and yours has been woven in golden thread."

Princess Xy suddenly seemed to grasp what the man was saying.  Dave wished he understood.  He watched as she bowed deeply.  "Father.  You have trained me well.  I am second in the Arts only to you.  I can, I will carry out this mission.  If I can return to you after, should I live, I will."

"I know it daughter," the emperor said.  He took a deep breath. "Go.  Go and collect it.  See me before you leave if you are able."

Bowing more deeply, the princess stepped backwards until she reached Dave.  "Come," she said to him, turning and walking away.

Giving a brief bow to the emperor himself, Dave followed.

~*~ 

Xy

Xy's heart was beating fast as she led the messenger, the Dave as he'd called himself, through the palace towards her quarters. 

Selvia joined her shortly after she left the hall, falling in behind her and just behind the Messenger, her hand on her sword.  Her guard's presence seemed to make the Dave slightly jumpy.

When she started climbing the stairs to her quarters the Dave followed for several steps, until Selvia shouted and leaped in front of him. Hand on the hilt of her sword.

The Dave looked at her in confusion. 

"These are my quarters," Xy explained to the strange man.  "No man is allowed here."  She looked at Selvia.  "Usually," she added.  "In this case Selvia, you may accompany us."

"But..."  Her guard captain was torn between standing orders and her Princess's wishes.

"I'm okay," the Dave said.  "I can wait here."

"No," Xy said.  "You will come."  She turned and carried on.  After a few moments the other two followed.

The walk to her chamber seemed to take a long time.  It dawned on her that this could be the last time she ever came this way.  Shaking her head, she shook off the sentimentality.  This was what she had really been trained for!  Not being in the guard.  Unlike her father, she had always know, somehow, that this would be the case.

Arriving at her chamber, she nodded to Selvia, allowing the Dave to follow her into an area that would, normally, result in his painful and prolonged torture, starting with having his eyes removed for gazing upon her inner sanctum.  Pretty much everything else would also, eventually, be removed before he was finally allowed to die.

Not caring that the other two could see, she opened the secret panel in the base of her bed, taking out the purple velvet and unrolling it.  The shiny metallic object glistened, and she took a deep breath. Never before had she been allowed to actually touch it. 

Now though.  Now was the time.  She picked it up.

>>>>

OMFG!  Look at me writing stuff!  Lordy lordy! 

Still, not exactly an original SP!  We've had a small robot, a round sphere (that turned into a ring), what is this one? 

Something shiny it says, but don't let that limit your ideas

thank you for your patience waiting for this one.

>>>>
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Wanderer,
No reactions
No reactions

Poison

This confused me.  The latest chapter seems to be first! 

I found it anyway.  Maybe it's my settings.

Good to see someone's managing to write anyway.  I'm still stuck in the mud with mine.

However, suggestions.  This is harder than it seems.

I'm going to say it's a pen maybe.  A small pen.  Oh! Or a knife!  That would suit the princess.

I'll come back if I think of any more.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Wanderer,
No reactions
No reactions
New writer.  Be gentle!

Ren

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ren

Just to say apologies to 'all' (well, all might be a bit of a strong word here lol) for the lack of updates.

Been busy with work lately, and so not had chance to write.  Never fear, things will continue at some point...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions